Back to previous page NABSSAR Home Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your membership or your registrations, please contact:

420A Lincoln
PO Box 231
Wamego, Kansas 66547

Telephone: (785) 456-8500
E-mail: (put NABSSAR in the subject line) Do not e-mail forms or photos to the ASR. These must be sent via post ("snail" mailed) or uploaded via the Electronic Submission Process (ESP).

You must be a member of the NABSSAR to register and transfer sheep (includes the Open Registration Application process).

Before submitting any applications for registering or transferring sheep, please become a member and obtain your membership number. You will receive a welcome letter with your membership number and other information from ASR within 12 days of their receipt of your application, not including mailing time, usually sooner.


See the next section for the Open Registration Application process.
Click here for a step-by-step guide for filling out the form.
Click here to view and print a checklist to use before sending us your packet.
Additional Information:
I. The required color photos (not black and white) for the Open Registrations Application process must still be mailed with the entire required packet following the instructions in the next section ˅˅˅. Do not use the ESP for Open Registration Applications.
II. Examples of proper photos. Questions & Answers regarding the printed head shots showing ear tag numbers.
When taking head shot / ear tag photos for registrations/transfers:
III. Regarding ear tags:
a. If the sheep is ever re-tagged, for any reason, the owner of the sheep MUST send the ORIGINAL CoR to the registrar, along with a new head shot of the sheep with the new ear tag in its ear. The ear tag information updates will be made on the CoR by the registry.

b. You MUST be the last current owner already listed on the CoR for the sheep in order to request the ear tag information of the sheep be updated by the registry.
c. A sheep may not be able to be registered and/or transferred if the paperwork or the CoR ear tag number information does not match the ear tag on the sheep. When purchasing a sheep, filling out paperwork on a sheep, etc., please check, double check, even triple check the sheep you have is the sheep listed on the paperwork or the CoR.
All applications being presented for registration of lambs bred through artificial insemination or embryo transfer, either with imported semen or domestic semen/embryos, must be accompanied by NABSSAR's Certificate of Artificial Insemination &/or Embryo Transfer Breeding, properly completed and signed by the appropriate personnel. ONLY NABSSAR registered rams & ewes may be used for semen and embryo donation. (International members contact us for information on suitable donors.)
V. If you have any questions about filling out the registration/transfer form, please click here for a step-by-step guide. Please feel free to contact the Registrar if you need further assistance with your forms.

* Owner = a sheep's Certificate of Registry (CoR) lists the owner of the sheep. It is either the owner listed on the front; OR, the last person the sheep was transferred to, listed on the back of the CoR the NABSSAR registrar has signed off on. A transfer of a sheep making a person an owner is only valid if the Approved by and the Approved date lines have been filled in by our registrar and the NABSSAR's official records reflect the transfer.


Only the registered owner of the sheep may update an ear tag. An registered owner is the person listed on the front of the Certificate of Registry (CoR) or the last person listed on the back, in the transfer section, the registrar's signature and date indicates a transfer to a new owner has been completed.

If the sheep has lost the ear tag it was registered with, apply a new one, if you are the registered owner. The tag number the sheep was registered with is listed on the CoR in the NAME line of the sheep. The tag in the sheep's ear and the tag listed on the CoR MUST always match. Use your official ID tags with your flock # on it. In the United States, this is the "scrapie tag". if you do not have your own scrapie tags, see this page. If one of our international members, use the tags required by your government.
Keeping your sheep's records updated with us with is imperative for future transfers of the sheep. Thank you,
Updated as of 09/2023